Thursday, March 15, 2012

Comrade Konrad!!!

     I went to Konrad Steiner's presentation on Wednesday night. I must admit, whenever I  go to a presentation about someone I've never heard of showing work I've never seen, my expectations are usually low. Of course, it didn't help when my sickness was getting the better of me. Needless to say, I was not in much of a chipper mood to begin with, so forgive me if this seems bias. But I went to the show all the same, and I cannot say I was disappointed. I'll explain what I saw from the show, then I'll explain what I was interested in and why.
     It didn't start well, what with the technical difficulties slowing the production. But once that was out of the way, the show started with him showing a film with some balloons floating very closely to the ground. Meanwhile, someone in the background off screen was playing an acoustic guitar like they were Jimi Hendrix in a rush to get out of a concert he was doing. I honestly didn't get the message of what the video was supposed to mean, it was completely lost on me. The next video showed a bunch of random places while four people, the 'moon', the 'girl', the 'lake', and the 'canoe', spoke out at random intervals by telling their side of a story, perhaps. Apparently it was based off of a poem. Part three consisted of Steiner practically riffing on a scene from Minority Report.It also snuck in some political messages and news clips on the Iraq War. The last show I remember seeing was where Steiner wears a dress in order to help project a scene from a movie onto himself.He talks about perspectives and how they can change when one is in the middle of chaos rather than sitting outside of it. The movie scene, by the way, is just a loop of one part in the movie "Schindler's List". These four presentations were the most memorable to me.
     As for my opinion, it can be summed up as so: meh, not bad. The projects were creative, most of the ideas got across, despite the technical difficulties, and the show was very entertaining. The first two parts seemed a little far fetched, however, and I felt like I was outside of the loop of a clever joke of some sorts. But the Second two were very engaging, especially the Minority Report one. It got a few laughs out of me while still holding it's intellectual properties. All in all, I liked it, and I personally can't wait to see what else he has in store, as long as it's understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment